04 June 2010

Another battle is upon us...

I got the biopsy results back. The "abnormality" at the base of my tongue is cancer.

The doctors are baffled as to why this cancer is hanging around. Every time they have removed a tumor, the margins have shown that they are clear and the cancer is gone. What also has them perplexed is that in my March PET scan, there was nothing there. I was clean. So, this tumor had to have popped up between then and my most recent PET scan.

Even though there is this new diagnosis, I am encouraged and have had my spirits rebooted. What has done that was a monologue from the tv show 'South Park'. Yes, I know what kind of show 'South Park' is, but this monologue by Principal Victoria is really very inspiring. Here it is:

Cancer is pure evil. It is a fat little lump that needs to be destroyed. When there is a cancer, you have to fight it. You can’t reason with cancer. You can’t wish it away. Cancer doesn’t play by the rules so neither can you.

And you can’t listen to what anybody else tells you. You have to be willing to give up everything; because the cancer will take everything. Do you understand?

When you have cancer, you fight, because it doesn’t matter if you beat it or not, you refuse to let that fat little lump make you feel powerless.

That is definitely something I am not. Powerless. As long as there is a breath in my body, I will fight. I have yet to lose a major battle in my life. I am not about to start now. This monster can be as aggressive as it wants, it can be as nasty as it wants. I will give back to it what it is giving me in spades.

So, off into the abyss I go, again. Do I go to fight the monster again happily? No. No one in their right mind would be happy that they have to endure this game. I do, however, go willingly. I didn't pick this fight. It picked me. And because it picked me, I am more than willing to take the fight to it.




4 comments:

Pat Moning said...

Good for you, Ken!!!!! We are ALL pulling for you. I can sincerely say that I have more respect for you & your family since you have begun this fight. All we can offer is our prayers & some financial support but I wish there was more that we could do.
Keep up fighting because I know you have what it takes.

Linda Lanter. Marker said...

I love you so much and admire the man you are. I will continue to keep you in my prayers. Love, Aunt Linda

dani said...

Go get 'em, Ken! And we will be there for you in any way you need through it all! If you need anything, please don't hesitate to call and ask. We love you!!!!!

G L Griffith said...

Hang in there Ken! You have a strong support group in your wife and wonderful daughters and extended family. Your friends are thinking positive thoughts for you. Eventually something attacks every one of us, aint none of us getting out of this life alive. It's how we handle it that matters. And you serve as good a role model as any. God be with you. Be strong.