23 February 2010

It's baaaack. Cancer has decided to go another round with the champ...

I got the biopsy results back from Dr. Williams today. It came back positive for cancer. Or, as Doc Williams put it "it looks like cancer". The PET scan that I originally was going to have in May has now been pushed up to this Tuesday. I am figuring that the results of the scan will determine how we pursue treatment. Hopefully, it is just localized to the spots on my tongue and all they have to do is just cut them out and be done with it. If it has spread, well, that's a whole different ballgame.

This one is tough. Just when I thought I was almost out of the woods I have to deal with this again. While the vast majority of me is ready to fight and kick cancers butt again, there is a part of me that just wants to jump up and down, yell, scream and just throw an all around fit about how unfair this all is, but what good would that do? I can't have that negativity. I know life is unfair. I also know that people are only given what they can handle. But, just the same, sometimes you wanna scream, you wanna cry, you want someone to tell you why, and you think that all the hope that’s in your heart is not enough to fend off the monster in the night that feeds on fear and despair. I know that the only way to, once again, beat back this monster is to stand and fight. Cancer has underestimated my heart, my desire, my will and the steel in my spine. Again. I won the last round. I plan on winning this one too.

So, here we are again, standing at the edge of the abyss looking the monster in the eye one more and telling it; "Bring it on. We took your best shot last time. We'll take it again and we'll beat you. Again."

We're off into the abyss. Stay tuned. It's gonna be one hell of a fight.

7 comments:

Jerri said...

I am so sorry to hear that. But we are all behind you, even if we are not physically near you. We're here to help the fight, through hope, prayer and whatever else you need (even if it is to jump up and down and ask why for a minute or two).

Hang in there; stay as strong as you have been. We're with you and we know you'll kick butt again.

Dani, Kevin, Bailey & Drew said...

I couldn't say it any better than my little sis just did! Just know that we all love you and are here for whatever you need!!!!!

Katie said...

why do I keep forgetting the cardinal rule around here?

Tori said...

@Katie, because you're human just like the rest of us ;-)

Ken you're gonna do it again man & come back twice as good as before. We love you, we're behind you, & you've totally got this one :-)

P)at said...

Right now I am so angry I could spit. Angry at God because no one deserves what you have been dealt. NO ONE.

I hope you know that we are here (in Cincinnati) for all four of you, for anything we can possibly do or say.

If you have to go through the chemo & radiation again, I am so very sorry. I wish I could make it "all better" for you but it you who will have to go through it & we (your family & us[Katie's family] who will support you & your family with everything we have. Please stay strong & fight it again. We are all pulling for yoLove,
Pat

Anonymous said...

There are some errors there, because I am so upset & impatient. Didn't proofread it or "preview it.

SorrLove,
Pat

Mom and Dad B said...

Ken, Katie, Em and Lilli,
We love you, God loves you, and yes we do not know why some people suffer more than others. God has given us a very special task and it is up to each and every one of us to do our part to make the best of a serious situation. Dad and I will always love, support and miss our 4 beautiful family members in Maryland, God has been so good to us because through the love of Ken and Katie God has given us the awesome gifts of Emily and Lilli; "Oh my" these are gifts that bring joy to our hearts and keep us smiling. God is so generous - May the bad never over shadow the good, awesome and beautiful in our lives. Ken always keep the faith, always trust in God and our Lord Jesus Christ - they will lead us down the path and through prayer and love we will be victorious.
Love Ya,
Mom and Dad