22 September 2010

short version update

Just to make everyone happy, here is an update. I'm going to keep this one brief, just kind of hitting the highlights. I'll put a more detailed update out when I can sit at the computer for longer than 10 minutes.

Let's just say since the surgery, hell would be preferable to what I have had to put up with. I left the hospital on Sept 3rd, feeling like I had hit rock bottom physically. Well, I hadn't. The first week to week and a half was just brutal. I barely had the strength to stand long enough to take a shower and considered it a victory if I could walk from one end of the apt to the other. I was always hot, couldn't sleep and was just miserable. Fortunately, the corner was turned the middle of last week. I'm still exhausted, can't sleep, but I am starting to feel better. I actually feel like getting out of my chair and doing things. Granted, it's small things like getting the mail or being on the computer, but it's something.

The trach tube is out. They took it out this past Tuesday. It would have been last week, but when they first tried to "cork" the trach, I got bronchitis. That, along with the 102 degree fever set everything back a week. Once we got the bronchitis cleared up, we corked the trach tube for part of the day for three days, then corked it full time for three days. Now, all I have to do is wait a few days for the hole to close and it will be one less thing I have to worry about.

There is more, but like I said, this is only a brief update, basically to let everyone know that I am still alive. Once I feel somewhat better, I'll bring y'all up to speed on everything else.

7 comments:

Tim Lawson said...

Thanks Ken. Michelle and I are thinking of you often.

Pat Moning said...

I know you have been through hell already Ken, but just hang in there because you still have a long way to go.
I sincerely hope that the worst is over. But with therapy & putting back on the weight you have lost, thing should get better. You are far stronger than anyone thought.

Jason & Jerri said...

Glad to hear you're feeling better! Thanks for the update!

Sue Moning said...

Ken, you have been such a trooper through this. I should add such an inspiration, such a role model for your girls, such an example of grace and dignity during such a trying time. You truly are my hero and I love you more than I can say.
You have already beat the odds for survival. You've humbled me because I don't know I could have faced such an ordeal with the class you did. I know God has some extraordinary plans for you and I believe down the road, some extraordinary rewards as well. I salute you, not because you are a former Marine, but because I am so proud of you and proud to have you in my family and as my friend.

Dennis Pyritz, RN said...

Great Blog! You are a credit to the cancer blogging community. I have added you to my blogroll, “Cancer Blogs” with over 1000 other personal cancer blogs at www.beingcancer.net, a cancer networking site featuring a cancer book club, guest blogs, cancer resources, reviews and more.
If you have not visited before or recently, please stop by. If you agree that the site is a worthwhile resource for those affected by cancer, please consider adding Being Cancer Network to your own blogroll.
Now that you are listed, you can expect to gain a wider audience for your thoughts and experiences. Being Cancer Network is a place to share and communicate.
And like bloggers everywhere, I love receiving your comments and ideas.

Take care, Dennis (beingcancer@att.net)

Anonymous said...

Hey there you are, good to hear from you. I heard something interesting on TV the other day that I found interesting. Did you know that Jack O Lantern was actually a real person. He was a really mean guy. It is believed that when he passed on he went to hell but he was so mean the devil kicked him out.
Now this has nothing to do with anything but I know I'll never look at a Jack O Lantern the same way again.
By the way BOOOOOO, have a nice Halloween.

Love ya man,

Uncle John

Dr. Swill said...

Ken,
I hope you are getting stronger with each day and look forward to a positive update. I am a fellow tongue cancer patient and unfortunately know exactly what you are going through. I spent 2 years on my feeding tube after losing my tongue to cancer, but I am on a much stronger path now. I wish the same for you.

My prayers are with you and your family.

Peace
Brian

http://beyondtheglassdoor.blogspot.com/