06 August 2010

Does it ever end?

The cancer is back.

I had an appointment with my speech therapist this past Monday and on our way into the building, we ran into Dr. Blanco. While standing there talking to him, he asked to look at my tongue, so I showed it to him and he noticed a small bump on the front of it. He put me on his schedule for that morning and biopsied it. Katie & I didn't really think anything of it since 1) it was so small and 2) it looked different from the previous tumors. Turns out we were wrong.

Here are my choices as far as options go: 1) do a regular resection of the tumor area and follow it up with chemotherapy, if I am eligible for it. 2) have what is called a total glossectomy done. What that is, they would remove my entire tongue and replace it with a piece of my thigh muscle. The glossectomy would also include a temporary tracheotomy and a feeding tube.

Not fun choices.

We see the chemotherapy oncologist Monday to determine if I am a candidate for chemo. Tuesday we see the doctor who would be performing the part of the total glossectomy that involves replacing the tongue with the thigh muscle. Thursday we see Dr. Blanco and decide what way we are going to go.

Onward we go, but I can't help but to wonder, when is enough, enough. I mean, honestly, every time we deal with the monster and vanquish him we think we're done. So, we round the corner to pick our lives back up, and we wind up getting sucker punched like this. It is getting very old and very aggravating.

7 comments:

Pat Moning said...

I am so very Sorry for all you have gone through, Ken. As I've said before, you are far more brave than I am. FAR more.
I am still numb from the devasting new, as I'm sure you & your family are.
I can't even tell you that I am praying because I am so angry at God. But when I can pray again I will pray even harder for you.
PLEASE hang in there. There has to be light at the end of the tunnel.

Casey said...

You can do this, you fought to long and too hard to let it get on top now - you have strength that most of us can't even imagine, thoughts and prayers from the Westside!

Linda Lanter. Marker said...

Ken, Katie, Emily and Lilli: The prior two comments have said it all. One of your Facebook comments said it all....STAY STRONG.

Anonymous said...

Ken,
You and your family are in my thoughts and prayers. They say God only gives us what we can handle. Sometimes he thinks we are stronger than we are. I think part of the lesson is also for the rest of us, to see how determined you are is truly a lesson for the rest of us.
I have asked my entire family to add you to the prayer list, so there are a lot more people praying. Keep fighting and we'll keep praying. Karen Sander

Gary Griffith said...

Ken if this means anything, I really, really admire your courage in all of this. It must be exhausting and exasperating, to say the least. Hopefully this time is the charm and you vanquish the bitch. Thoughts and prayers are with you my friend.

John Doe said...

Ken,

Dana and my thoughts and prayers are with you. We both wish you the best.

Daria said...

My heart goes out to you ... so sorry.