13 August 2010

The Nuclear Option has been selected...


You know, in a weird sense, I now know how Harry Truman felt when he was deciding whether or not to drop the Atomic Bomb on Japan back in WWII. His decision was either go with a conventional invasion of the Japanese mainland and prolong the war or drop the bomb and end everything once and for all. Well, that is kind of what I have been looking at. Do I go with the conventional surgery and then wait for it to come back or do I just go ahead and lop out my tongue now and end this thing.

In the last blog, I asked when is enough, enough. Well, we have an answer to that question. Enough is enough on August 24th @ 8:45 am. That is the date of the next surgery. The surgery I have opted to have is the total glossectomy. For those of you who may not remember, the total glossectomy is when they remove the tongue and replace it with a piece of muscle from my thigh.

This procedure may not be an actual total removal of the tongue, however. They are going to try to save the left side base of my tongue and attach the transplanted muscle (called a free flap) to that. The final decision on whether or not to leave the base will not be made until they are actually in my mouth and they see how things are.

They are wanting to leave the base because it will help with movement of the flap when it comes to speech and eating. My speech will not get any better than it is now and my diet will definitely change, but, if it means getting rid of the cancer once and for all, I'm all for it. After all, what good is a tongue if you're dead.

The last week or so has been a whirlwind to say the least. When we got the word from Dr. Blanco that this latest tumor was malignant, it was a shock. I think it left both Katie and I numb and in disbelief. We just could not believe that it has come back so quickly. The numbness turned to anger. The anger eventually turned to acceptance. Once that happened, it was time to figure out how to end this.

You know, cancer has tried just about everything to get me. It has knocked me down 4 times now. What cancer didn't expect was for me to get up 4 times, dust myself off and keep on fighting. I'm done playing. Cancer has tried and failed with its knockout punch. It's time for one of my own.


You live for the fight when it's all that you've got...



4 comments:

Pat Moning said...

Anyone fighting cancer could use a lesson from you, Ken.
I am sick inside & can only imagine how both you & Katie feel.
I sincerely hope & pray that this is the last time shows its ugly head around your family.
You are far braver than I ever imagined, Ken & if anyone deserves to beat cancer, it is you.

Gary Griffith said...

I have been trying to think of somethng encouraging to say all weekend. Words fail me. But if anyone can prevail in this I have ful faith that you can Ken. It has been a damned difficult journey for you, and is not over yet. But you have shown tremendous fortitude and a positive outlook and I think that is probably the most important weapon in your arsenal. All best wishes for a speedy annd permament recovery.

Tammylicious said...

Just wandering were you ever a Copenhagen man?

Jerri & Jason said...

We are so sorry to hear you have to go through with this again. We are praying that this surgery will finally get rid of this cancer.

I actually posted this quote on facebook before I saw this blog entry, but I think it ties right into it:

- Boxing great Floyd Patterson's response to a reporter's question on being knocked down more than any other fighter was, "But I got up more than any other fighter."

We're praying for a full and speedy recovery.