09 March 2010

off into the abyss again...

Well, round 2 kicks off with surgery in the morning. Hopefully, this will be it. We have to be at the hospital @ 7:45am with surgery scheduled for 9:45am. Doc Williams has said that this should be a 2 to 2 & 1/2 hr surgery. Depending on how I respond to everything I should be released from the hospital sometime Thursday.

While I am nervous, I still feel somewhat calm. I am confident in my surgeon. I am also confident in what the PET scan found (or didn't find). I really feel like that this round will be short and quick.

The last two weeks have been a whirlwind of emotions for me. I have ranged from shock when they first told me the cancer was back to feeling like my old self, full of confidence that I can win. Cancer feeds on negativity, fear and despair. Cancer expects me to sit and cower in a corner, wonder "why me" and feel sorry for myself. I will not give it the satisfaction of having any of that from me or my team. Cancer expects me to be afraid. In fact, it is cancer who should be afraid.

No, belay that order. Cancer shouldn't be afraid. It should be terrified.


"We're going to fight. We're going to be hurt. In the end, we will stand."

5 comments:

Dani said...

We'll be praying for you tomorrow! I just know you are going to kick cancer's butt once and for all!!! Love ya!

Dani said...

We'll be praying for you tomorrow! I just know you are going to kick cancer's butt once and for all!!! Love ya!

Anonymous said...

We are praying for you and can't wait to hear the good news. The next time they pull blood though make sure they run a PSA so you have a baseline. You know have a family history of it and men as young as 39 have been diagozed, so set you mind completely clear of any worry once you win this battle today. I Love you and I know your grandpa is watching over you, Aunt Linda

Tori said...

You're gonna do great Ken!!

Pat Moning said...

I am soooo very proud of you, Ken. You & Katie & the girls have been through a lot, especially you. You have more guts than I do & I have to say you have taken it a whole lot better than I would have.
Now that the operation is over you still have some pain (in your tongue & your leg) but, hopefully this is all you have to get through.
All of here in Cincinnati & Kentucky are all pulling for you & wish there was more we could do for all of you.
Please know that we & many other people are praying for a COMPLETE recovery for you.
I'm guessing that your 40th birthday isn't going to be great but you & Katie can celebrate it a little later. Hang in there.

Love,
Pat