23 March 2010

An open letter to GBMC

3-20-10

K B

Cockeysville, MD 21030

To Whom it may concern:

I wanted to take some time to let some one know about the quality of care my family has received over the past year at Greater Baltimore Medical Center.

Our contact with GBMC began in earnest in June of 2009, when I presented in your Emergency Department on June 5th with what ended up being 2 blood clots in my lungs, and I was admitted to Unit 34. While no one can honestly say they enjoy being in the hospital, your staff did everything they could to make my stay as comfortable as possible. I cannot possibly say enough good things about a nurse named Jackie, in particular. I apologize for not remembering her last name, but I do believe it began with a B. She worked the 7 p.m. to 7 a.m. shift and she was positively amazing. I would love to know that she got some sort of recognition for the kind and level of care she provides to your patients.

I was released on June 9th, to turn around and come back the following day for my husband to have a biopsy performed on a mass in his tongue. Thus began the “adventure” we’ve been living ever since. He was diagnosed with oral cancer on June 15th, and we returned to Sherwood Surgical on the 26th for the surgery to remove the tumor and excise some lymph nodes for biopsy….

I wish I could remember everyone’s name whom we have had contact with in your facility, because if we’ve met 50 people in the course of the care, there are less than 5 whom I would say don’t deserve special recognition. I think some of the nurses we had last year are the same as we’ve had in this last month.

The Pre-op nurses are so personable and roll with very bad jokes along with us, trying to put everyone at ease before my husband Ken’s surgeries. They joke with us, explain things thoroughly, and answer any and every question we come up with. In Post op, again, Ken receives wonderful care. His most recent care team consisted of Joyce M., Kathy R., (OR) Lynne T., PACU; and it looks like another Joyce, in PACU as well. In addition to Vanisha and Nancy, and a few other’s whose names I did not manage to get. Pretty much, they all deserve angel wings.

A word about his surgeon, Dr. Williams. Words aren’t enough, in all honesty. That man ranks up there as amazing along with the nurses. He explains his care to us, explains why he chooses to do what he does, and offers a lot of support in and out of the hospital.

One other group who cannot be forgotten is the wonderful group of nurses in the Radiation Oncology and Chemo administration center. Vickie, Wynne, Tracey (and Lisa, Jane, and Marie in Dr. Zinreich’s office) all provided wonderful care, nearly everyday with radiation, once a week with chemo, and on visits. And lastly, Dr. Levine and his assistants in the Medical Oncology Department were all wonderful to us, as well.

In addition to all this… Our youngest daughter has been a recent “regular” patron of the ER for a series of rabies shots. Overall, we’ve received very good care there as well.

I, myself, am a user of your anticoagulation clinic, and between Janice, Maza, Cathy Custer, Stewart the pharmacist… they too deserve props as a wonderful care team. They do a lot to make sure the visit goes smoothly and quickly, answer all questions, and if one of the pharmacists doesn’t have an immediate answer, they offer to locate it for you.

Once again, thank you for all the support we have gotten from your facility in the last year, especially.

Sincerely,

The Ballinger Family

Ken, Katie, Emily and Lillian

3 comments:

Katie said...

I am mailing the letter to their mailing address, but Ken and I are going up to take a copy to the appropriate "places" this morning.

Pat Moning said...

I wish you could tell all those people a very heartfelt "thank you from the bottom of my heart" too. I appreciate them far more than I can say. Here is my daughter, my son-in-law & two of my granddauighters, almost 600 miles from "home" going through one of the worst situations possible and we can't be there for you (except in spirit) so I am thrilled beyond words that you have people like these doctors & nurses to help you get through this ordeal. I can only hope & pray that they & you get some "good luck" real soon.

Anonymous said...

Ken, Katie - thanks so much for your Blogs. Your words of appreciation and recognition regarding your care by the staff at GBMC are as inspirational as they are heartwarming. I will be sharing your blogs with the staff of the Sherwood Surgical Center. I know they will be touched to hear that they made a difference.

Laura Perdue,
Clinical Manager, Sherwood Surgical Center.