08 August 2009

Teaching class and getting the tube in...

The teaching class Katie & I went to Thursday was very informative. Katie actually covered most of what they went over, but I was really surprised when they told us that the chemo was actually being used to "grab onto" the cancer and set it up for the radiation to kill it. We're sitting there listening to this explanation and the nurse was doing a great job, but it was just so long. After she was done, I looked at her and said "so it's like a two on one beat down. The chemo grabs it and holds it for the radiation to knock it out." The poor girl must not have ever heard it described quite that way, because she sat there for a minute and was like "um, yeah, that's what is happening."

Friday we finally got the tube in, in spite of the anesthesiologist doing everything he could to delay it. At first things looked like they were going to go pretty smooth. We got there on time, filled out the paperwork and they took me back in short order. Then we met the anesthesiologist. Katie called it a "god complex", I think he's just an asshole. First, the guy demanded that he see all the records from my previous surgeries. Apparently he thought I wouldn't be able to swallow the intibation tube or something. After seeing those he insisted that I be moved from the little operating suite I was in to the main operating room. I have no idea why. He never bothered to explain himself to me all I know is that it put us behind schedule. Then there was the mixup on the eating instructions. I had been told no eating six hours before the procedure, so since the procedure was at 3:30 pm I had breakfast and was done eating by 9:00 am. He blew up at me and Dr. Corkum when he found this out. He said it was supposed to be eight hours and absolutely refused to do anything until 5 pm. This was at 4:20 pm. He then needed to draw blood to check my electrolytes. While talking to me he was just so condescending and arrogant. Then there was the way he treated the nurses. Whenever he needed something, there was no "please" or "thank you". He was just down right rude.

When I was coming out of the anesthesia he was there. I then proceeded to tell him exactly what I thought of him; that he was an asshole. He asked me how was he an asshole. I told him that while I understand him being a stickler for the rules since I am one myself, it's all in how you do it and that he didn't treat people well. My nurses apparently think the same thing about him, because they loved the fact that I told him what I thought.

So, the tube is in, all the preliminary appointments and classes are out of the way. All that is left is to wait until Tuesday when the chemo and radiation start. It's just two and a wake up.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Ken, apparently the poor instructor of the class is not a wrestling fan. I'm sure the nurses have hoped for a long time that somebody would inform the anesthesiologist of their displeasure at his bedside manners. The guy should consider himself lucky. Just imagine if it was Katie he had put under . . . just kidding, little sis. Hope you both grinned at that. I love all of you.