23 August 2009

Wanna know how to make Katie cry?

Subtitled: Some friends are simply amazing...

I received this picture as a text message today. While it may seem innocuous to the untrained eye... I gasped, and yelled for Ken to "Come see this!!!"

I have known for several weeks that a friend of mine was riding in a charity bike ride this weekend (100 miles, if you care about that kind of stuff), and I am pretty sure I was aware that it was for cancer research. But it never crossed my mind, that it might cross his mind, to say he was riding for some one he knows, affected by the dreaded C-word.
Maybe you need to know Mike... but I cannot adequately describe how and why this affected me the way it did. All I can say is, this is one more example of the fact that while we are 550 miles away from our blood family, we have friends who are family to us as well. Thanks, Mike, for reminding me of that, and godspeed to you on your ride tomorrow. (Well, it is actually today, rolling off in about 5 hours!)

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Katie & Ken, you can't possibly know how happy it makes me feel to know that you have friend as nice & caring as family with you that far away from home. We may back here in Cincinnati but our hjearts are right there with you. And Mike - if you are reading this - thank you from the bottom of my heart for doing this for Katie & Ken. We all appreciate it VERY MUCH!

Pat Moning said...

That is Katie's mom who is saying that.

Katie said...

LOL. My poor Mom... Gotta love her to death!

Katie said...

To update, Mike rode 70 miles... way more than I could have ever hoped to accomplish. He was part of a team that raised nearly $275,000.

Tori said...

That is so completely awesome!